Meet Attorney Karen Scott Greene
I am Attorney Karen Scott Greene and I am running for Gwinnett County Superior Court Judge. Early voting begins May 2, 2022 and the election is on May 24, 2022.
I was born and raised in Broward County, Florida in the small close knit community of Carver Ranches. Growing up in Carver Ranches was very much like being raised by a village, with neighbors looking out for one another. My parents were a big part of this village. My mother owned a salon in the community and my father, who started off as a volunteer fireman, went on to become one of the first African American Captains in the county. They instilled in me the importance of hard work, family values and a strong sense of community.
I took those values with me to become a proud graduate of Georgia Tech and St. Thomas University School of Law. Since graduating law school in 1994, I have spent the majority of my legal career as a solo practitioner. I am also a registered mediator, arbitrator and Guardian ad-Litem. My legal experience has included family law, juvenile law, criminal law, real estate and bankruptcy. For the last several years, my work has mainly focused on representing children and families. I have a passion for young people and disrupting the school to prison pipeline that so many of our youth involved in the juvenile justice system have become entangled in.
Learn more about my experience
Child Advocate/Guardian Ad Litem:
●Successfully represented school age children in delinquency, deprivation and special education matters, including attendances at IEP meetings.
●Developed care plans with Department of Family and Children Services and defending children in juvenile court on a broad range of issues including abuse and neglect.
●Developed strategies to ensure that outcomes protected the future concerns of clients, including providing alternative to confinement and developing IEPs to adequately address the needs of the whole child.
●Identified and determined strategies to adequately address medical, mental and educational needs of clients.
●Successfully negotiated resolutions with local school board and government agencies for treatment options, educational opportunities and parenting plans for my clients.
●Participated in family mediation resolving issues of custody and visitation.
●Certified mediator and arbitrator, registered with the Georgia Office of Registered Neutrals
●Performed all phases of litigation for jury and non-jury trials.
●Successfully conducted discovery, depositions, factual/legal research investigations and witness interviews.
●Drafted and filed appeals on behalf of clients
●Developed pleadings, paneled juries, and successfully concluded over 100 trials.
●Litigated in numerous juvenile court hearings including temporary protective orders, periodic reviews, and motion hearings
- Ensured proper land use and zoning ordinances are met to build site infrastructure;
- Identify title defects and outline curative remedies;
- Review, prepare, analyze and interpret all Land and Right-of-Way related agreements, deeds, easements, leases, permits & licenses;
- Negotiate and draft agreements, easements, and contracts.
- Managed real estate closing files for several thousand borrowers.
- Represented and advised financial institutions on Georgia mortgage law.
- Prepared and examined mortgage lending documents to insure compliance with FHA, HUD, VA, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac Regulations.
- Executed due diligence examinations, including title and survey examinations to ensure the lender's collateral.
- Represented clients in chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy;
- Filed petitions and motions to protect property;
- Voided liens on personal and real property
- Certified Mediator by the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolutions
- Certified Arbitrator by the Georgia Office of Dispute Resolutions
- Trained Guardian ad Litem
- Graduate, Parent Leadership Institute
- Executive Board Member and Vice President, Georgia Association of Counsel for Children
- Board Member, Center for Navigating Family Change
- Member, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Rho Xi Zeta Chapter